donate your car, truck or rv to charity
Typically people trade in their old car when buying a new one. But donating your old car to Goodwill Columbus might be of greater value to you when you consider the tax incentive. Not only that, but with your donation you are directly helping individuals who have disabilities in central Ohio.
One hundred percent (100%) of the proceeds from the sale of your donation will go to Goodwill Columbus. We accept donations of cars, trucks, motorcycles, campers, trailers, and recreational vehicles (RVs). Please read our section on How to Transfer an Auto Title When You Donate Your Car.
How to Donate Your Car to Goodwill Columbus
We try to make the donation of your car or truck as hassle-free as possible. We'll even come pick up your vehicle.
Complete the online donation form or contact our Auto Auction Manager, at (614) 444-AUTO or email us.
Tax Break & Advantages for Car Donations
If you do not itemize deductions on your tax return or you do not wish to claim a tax deduction, there is no action required on your part.
If you intend to claim a tax deduction of $500 or less, you will need to determine the "fair market value" for your vehicle and claim that amount. Goodwill will not notify the IRS of the sale price. (This is just like the "old" law).
If you intend to claim a tax deduction of more than $500, you will be limited to the sale price that Goodwill receives for the vehicle. Goodwill is required to notify the IRS of the sale price if over $500. We will also notify you, the donor, of the sale amount. If the sale price turns out to be $500 or less, you can deduct the Fair Market Value up to $500, regardless of the sale price and Goodwill will not notify the IRS of the sale amount.
Questions regarding a tax benefit should be directed to a tax professional or the IRS Web site (www.irs.gov) or by calling 1-800-829-1040.
How to Transfer a Title When You Donate Your Car
The following guide gives instructions on transferring the title of a vehicle donated to the Goodwill Columbus Auto Auction. If you have questions about the procedure, contact Goodwill Columbus by email or phone at 614-444-AUTO.
- Please do not fill in the date that the vehicle will be picked up for the auction.
- Fill in the word "DONATION" for the price of the vehicle.
- The Transferee's/Buyer's name is "Goodwill Industries of Central Ohio."
- The Transferee's/Buyer's address is "666 S. Nelson Road, Columbus, OH 43205."
- The 6 empty boxes under the Odometer Certification must have the actual mileage of the vehicle listed.
- The next section must be filled out in front of a Notary Public and Stamped and Signed by the Notary:
- Transferor's/Seller's printed name
- Transferor's/Seller's signature
- Transferor's/Seller's printed address
After the title has been completely filled out, signed and stamped by a Notary, the donated vehicle can be scheduled for pickup with our towing company.